Sunday 8 August 2010

Trying to Soak Up the Last Bit of London!


So, these past few weeks have been filled with lots of yummy vegan food. I have been staying in London, just trying to soak up the last moments of everyday life here that I can. So, we'll start with a photo of the area where I live.
It's a bit difficult to explain the photo completely, but the Great Portland St. tube station is the round-ish building in the middle and the road in the front is Marylebone Rd.

And now to the food!

I went to Mildred's in Soho last Saturday and this was the soup of the day. It was absolutely wonderful, but I couldn't tell you the flavour. It was a coconut, butternut squash, courgette, something, something, something flavour. It was really good anyways!







This was my main at Mildred's. It was a mushroom-ale pie with potato wedges and mushy peas. I know mushy peas sound strange, but they are absolutely wonderful! They have mint in them and are mostly creamy, but also have some whole peas. The pie was full of rich gravy with a light crust - so fantastic!







i had no room for dessert, but this was Heidi's - a berry crumble with soya cream. She said that it was great! It looks beautiful, right?










This was Margaret's dessert - a pear sorbet. I tried a spoonful of it and it was so smooth and refreshing. It wasn't too sweet, but just enough!









This isn't anything too exciting, Heidi and I visited Caffe Nero (a chain coffee shop in the UK) and got drinks. I just thought that the cups were extremely cute!!!









More soup! This was the soup of the day last Sunday at the Rootmaster Bus near Brick Lane. I'm not sure of the flavour, but I think it was coconut based. The bread was delightful and there was a lovely little bit of olive oil on top with some sprouts to stir in. The soup was incredibly creamy and great to scoop with bread!





Sorry about the shadow on this one - it was nearly impossible not to have! This is from Safadi Express on High Holborn. Heidi and I have gone here twice on Mondays during our British Life & Culture Course and we love it. This is a photo of a falafel wrap and chips. It's pretty cheap and super delicious.







On Tuesday last week, Heidi visited me for lunch while I was at work and we of course went to the Rootmaster Bus. I got a teriyaki stir-fry with tofu and cashews. It was so good - with great vegetables and chewy brown rice. I would definitely get it again - I was happy the entire rest of the day at work!






On Thursday, Lindsey, Heidi, and I went to Manna near Primrose Hill in North-ish London. These are the nachos we had for a starter. They had cashew cheese, black beans, guacamole, and tomato salsa. Absolutely delicious!








For my main at Manna I got organic Bangers & Mash. It had a mash of not only other potatoes but as well as other vegetables, bangers made of pumpkin seeds and other things, and onion rings all smothered in gravy. I'm telling you, this was absolutely amazing. The mash was creamy, the bangers had good texture, and the onion rings were indescribable!





This was Lindsey's main. A burrito with a veg/fruit salsa on the side with rice. She said that it was great, but that's all I really know about it. She liked it so much her hands are in the photo!









This was Lindsey's dessert - a fruit crumble with vegan ice cream on the side. She said that it was great and it looked great!









Finally, here is my dessert! A banoffee trifle!!! It had layers of chocolate cake, bananas,toffee-y sauce, and berries and almonds on top. This thing was to die for!!! I am so, so glad that I ordered it, but by the end of that meal it was nearly like I had to be rolled out of the door. I would definitely recommend Manna to anyone visiting London!










On Friday, Heidi and I went to Hummus Bros. I got hummus with sauteed mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. I got a small, which comes with one pita - it was definitely plenty along with the tabouleh salad that I got. I really enjoyed the atmosphere here as well as the food. We even got to sit by the window and people watch in Soho!!!





On Saturday, Becca and I had dinner at the InSpiral Lounge in Camden. I got spanakopita. It had tofu and spinach in it with a flaky pastry on the outside. For sides I got chips/wedges, steamed broccoli/greens, and sauteed onions and fennel. I also got some hummus on the side. They even had nutritional yeast to sprinkle on top. You can also see my organic pear cider in the background. It was quite crowded inside, but other than that it was quite lovely.





For dessert, I got a scoop of maple vegan ice cream. It was extremely creamy and delicious! Even thought the photo's not great trust that it was amazing!








Today, Heidi, Lindsey, Becca, and I went to the Tea Rooms off of Brick Lane to see Ms. Cupcake. This is a photo of my cupcake - peanut butter chocolate flavour! It was so amazing!!!









This is Lindsey's cupcake - raspberry flavour. It looks fab, right?










Well, that's all for now folks! I'm sure that more will be to follow soon enough. I definitely have more food to eat before I get on that train to Heidelberg!

No comments:

Post a Comment